In 1929 General Patrick Hurley introduced the Ambassador Hotel to Tulsa. One of the first extended stay hotels the Ambassador was created to provide upscale temporary housing for oil barons and their families while their own mansions were built. The ten-story Mediterranean style building is one of Tulsa s most beautiful structures graced with Italian terra cotta relief panels and limestone cornices. Hurley never got to bask in the elegance of his hotel. About the same time as the opening Hurley was appointed to the Secretary of War post the first Oklahoman cabinet member.Tulsa s oil business continued to grow. In 1960 Kewanee Oil and its subsidiary Delbert Development Company purchased the Ambassador Hotel bringing its collection of commercial properties on this 1/2 mile area to five-earning it the reputation of Little Rockefeller Center . A USD1.25 million overhaul was undertaken to create an apartment hotel primarily targeting commercial occupancy.After the oil business decline the hotel became senior retirement housing and closed entirely in 1987. In 1997 developer Paul Coury and a group of civic-minded citizens purchased the property to begin the USD5.5 million renovation to restore this historic structure to its early day elegance.Now more than seventy years after the Ambassador Hotel first opened its doors La Dolce Vita returns.